Mental health needs to be safeguarded at any cost ensuring that it always remains healthy because our physical health is directly connected to our mental health. People always neglect mental health because it is not considered as necessary nor is the individuals suffering from it very vocal about their mental illness. The primary reasons for individuals hiding their mental disorders-
- The social stigma attached to the society
- Ridiculed by the names like mad, mentally retarded, mental, and many more
- Fear of being judged by their loved ones
- Scared of reaching a mental hospital
- Fear of destroying one’s own relationships or work situations
Types of Treatment
Seeking help for mental illness is not a stupid decision but a wise decision to look for the right and suitable kind of treatment that would help their mind remain stable and at peace. Before reaching it is important to know the right kind of treatment –
- Inpatient mental health treatment– the treatment that requires the admission of the patient and ensures a 24-hour professional guidance.
- Outpatient mental health treatment – requires frequent visits to the doctor, usually thrice a week, that include majorly the therapy sessions.
Therapy sections can be defined as a therapeutic relationship between the patient and the therapist. The therapy includes creating an opportunity for the patients to share their darkest secrets and talking about the things that are suffocating them at so many levels causing-
- Sleepless nights
- Eating disorder
- Panic attacks
- Messed up relations with close ones
- Chronic illness
- Hatred towards the people around
Therapy sessions are no less than a blessing when it comes to benefits for the individuals that opt for the right kind of therapy. Therapy can simply be explained as a platform that helps you share and communicate what you find hard to do so
with others. Therapy sessions are always very confidential and while at the time the therapist is in the talk without judging or passing any hate comments. Let us look at the factors that the therapy sessions focus on –
- Develops interpersonal communication skills
- A greater understanding of what are their future goals
- Balancing emotions and other forms of expressions
- Self-acceptance and self-love
- Understanding the ways to mend their disordered thinking
- Ability to change themselves for future betterment
- Understanding the importance of friends, family, and loved ones
- Fighting against depression, anxiety, and many other mental illnesses
- Ability to manage problems without being anxious
- Understanding the causes of the mental illness
- Helps in ensuring patience and peace in one’s own space.
Inpatient mental health medications
Inpatient mental health facilities along with the therapy sessions focus on Medications as well, with a proper diet meal planned by the dietician on a regular basis. Inpatient mental health facilities prescribe medicines that are at times a heavy and strong dose that is suggested only going through the daily progress of the patient.
Physciatery medications or mental health medication as a station in the doctor’s language, are used to treat several symptoms of mental illness which majorly includes – bipolar disorder, depression, anxiety, and schizophrenia. In such illnesses, medicines are effective but only in support of other treatments like individualized therapy sessions, group sessions, and many others. These psychotropic or psychotherapeutic medications as stated, have changed the lives of millions of people no matter how much severe the state has been by making them fight against mental illness and live a life full of dreams, stability, and balance. However, these medications are no dream pills that can cure your illness but can help you stabilize the illness symptoms without dismantling your mental health. The duration of having medications or the time taken by the medications to cure the mental illness varies, some may require only for few months, while some have to ensure the intake for some years while others have to take them for a lifetime. Apart from these, there are other factors as well that determine the effectiveness of mental illness like age, genetics, other mental and physical illnesses, addiction issues, and many such factors.
Thus any treatment taking a step toward the right kind of treatment for mental illness and being an inspiration for others who because of their family situations or many other reasons are not able to take the necessary step.